THE YOGA DOULA CHARTER:
The Yoga-Doula will act upon specific requests from the expectant mother
The Yoga-Doula commits to respect the parents’ choice of where and how to give birth.
The Yoga-Doula will inform expectant parents of different birth and mothering options, but will avoid influencing parents with her own preferences
The Yoga-Doula commits to offer a non-medical support and not to practice any medical act.
The KY Doula offers accompaniment and support on physical, practical, emotional, and spiritual levels.
The Yoga-Doula respects the individual beliefs, cultural practices, choices and values of the parent(s) she supports.
This support is based on the teaching of Kundalini Yoga according to Yogi Bhajan. It is inspired by Ayurvedic wisdom and is always adapted to the needs and requests of the mother and father from conception and until the end of the postnatal 40 day period and 9 months after birth (for postnatal yoga).
Full Ethical code is presented below.
This document has been written in the context of the “Kundalini Yoga Doula School”.
The Kundalini Yoga Doula (KY Doula) can only practice if she has followed training validated by the Kundalini Yoga-Doula school diploma and acquired the necessary competencies to practice this service.
The KY Doula commits to continued study. The KY Doula continues to expand her competencies in order to best serve the needs of the mother and the family.
The Yoga Doula only acts upon explicit requests of the mother and commits to respecting the parents’ choice of where and how to give birth.
The Yoga-Doula commits to offering a non-medical support and will not practice any medical act.
The Yoga-Doula offers an accompaniment and support on physical, practical, emotional, and spiritual levels.
The Yoga-Doula commits to respect the individual beliefs, cultural practices, choices and values of the parent(s) she supports.
This support is based on the teaching of Kundalini Yoga according to Yogi Bhajan. It is inspired by Ayurvedic practical wisdom and is always adapted to the needs and requests of the mother from conception and to the end of the postnatal “40 day” period, and 9 months after birth (for postnatal yoga).
The Yoga-Doula can offer the practice of prenatal Kundalini yoga for women/couple. The classes are personalized and adapted to the needs and capacity of the mother/father.
She can offer other social encounters by facilitating social links, educational and thematic meetings for pregnant women or couples.
The Yoga-Doula can offer empathic presence, encouragement and comforting care to the mother/father during the birth process. She is present after explicit demand of the mother/father, but only if the mother is treated by a health professional on site.
The KY Doula will not intervene in the medical process of delivery and be respectful to the medical team.
During the 6 weeks after birth, the KY Doula can offer logistical and practical home support for non-medical care and empathetic presence for the mother and her family.
She can offer to coordinate a postnatal support network for the mother and her family.
The KY Doula can offer postnatal yoga classes with or without the baby’s presence, as well as thematic meetings for mothers, meetings facilitating exchange and solidarity between mothers, etc.
- Respect of the parent’s choice. The KY Doula listens to the needs and request of the mother/father.
- Open to all through a neutral, secular, apolitical and non-confessional approach. The KY Doula will keep from influencing the mother with her own choices.
- Discretion and confidentiality, in respect to the intimacy of the family.
- If she is asked, she informs the family on the different possible options available for delivery.
- She will inform of the non-medical preparation for father/couples and the available resources or those which she offers.
- The Yoga-Doula will demonstrate an attitude of devotion, kindness and responsibility towards the family.
- Acknowledgement of the parents’ innate competencies and supports them to unfold.
- If possible, the KY Doula works in a team of two or three to insure continuous care for the mother in case of unforeseen circumstances in which the Yoga-Doula cannot be present.
- The KY Doula works in contact with the medical team and other professionals who follow-up with the family. She offers a complementary accompaniment to the medical follow up, adapted to the needs and demand of the parents.
- The accompaniment of the KY Doula does not replace under any circumstance the necessary and mandatory medical follow up for the mother. A KY Doula cannot work with a mother who does not have a medical follow up and cannot accept her in a prenatal yoga class.
- Furthermore, she will refuse to be present for delivery if a doctor or midwife is absent.
- The KY Doula can offer her services for a symbolic price or ask for remuneration through a written agreement with the future parents but will not try to make excessive profit.
- Every KY Doula who signed this charter commits to respect it.
Under no circumstances does the Kundalini Yoga Doula School assume responsibility of any misconduct from signatories.
The delivered training by the Kundalini Yoga-Doula School is not a medical training. We remind you that a follow up by a Yoga-Doula is complementary to the medical follow-up. The Yoga Doula does not replace under any circumstances a medical follow up of the pregnant woman during pregnancy and delivery. Yoga Doulas are not therapists and do not practice any medical act, consultation or medical advice of any sort, unless they are a registered doctor or therapist.